Benefits of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
Nicknamed “the Gentle Art” Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is one of the most respected martial arts on the planet and know for it’s efficiency and effectiveness when it comes to controlling and submitting an opponent.
- Learn to defend yourself on the ground and at close range
- A ‘must know’ martial art for mixed martial art fighters and practised by many of the UFC’s biggest names
- Learn to use skill and technique to beat a bigger, stronger opponent
- Master locks, chokes and holds to control and submit your opponent without striking
- An excellent workout – you’ll get fitter, stronger; be more agile and improve your flexibility too
- Join the team, our BJJ team is a tight knit of very friendly, really cool guys and girls
With 9 classes per week – day time and evenings – our club is a great place to learn this amazing martial art.
What is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ) is a grappling art where you learn to control your opponent before applying a lock or choke to submit them.
Since there is no striking, it’s a very safe martial art and when you lock or start to choke your partner they ‘tap’ and let you know to release the position.During classes you’ll learn to throw and take-down an opponent to the floor. From there you will learn to control and submit them.
We teach two types of classes here at the Academy — Gi and No-Gi. Wearing the Gi is more technical whilst No-Gi is more realistic for those interested in MMA (mixed martial arts). We recommend you try and train both where you can. Classes begins with a thorough warm-up before before learning new techniques with a partner.
Classes finish with ‘rolling’ which is the BJJ version of sparring. Here you work with a partner of similar size and a similar level to put your new techniques into action and try them on a resisting opponent.